Saturday 17 May 2008

Earthquake

I Decided I would not post a BLOG about my puerile and menial life this week, after reading and seeing the scenes from the earthquake stricken Sichuan province I didn’t feel comfortable discussing anything else. I’m not a journalist or professional writer, and couldn’t give justice to the stories that need to be told. So I have just decided to show some of the images that have moved me during the last few days.

At 2.45pm local time on the 12th May 2008 an earthquake measuring 7.8 on the Richter scale hit southwest China. The quake was centred on Wenchuan county in Sichuan province, and was felt as far away as Hong Kong and Bangkok - some 1950 kilometres away.


The current death toll stands at 28,881 (as of 2pm on Saturday 16th May), and government sources are indicating that figure could be as high as 50,000. The Red Cross report that another 200,000 have been injured and over 4 million displaced.

Here are just some of the pictures that show the scale of the disaster.




One of the most harrowing stories to be told has been that of the children at Juyuan Middle School in Dujiangyan. 900 children were killed, when the school collapsed during Monday’s earthquake.


The photograph show the gathering of school bags made to help identify the dead.








Student ID tags are collected to help identify those lost.



The pictures don't need any explanation, and certainly dont need any words from me. I just want to send my heartfelt wishes, and Sincere condolences in this the darkest of hours.




A good Chinese friend of mine sent me some more pictures from the earthquake site, I have now added these to the blog.



Please give generously:

No comments: